By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Chicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News Media
  • Advertise with us
  • Newsletters
  • Deal
Reading: Night Line: Fareed Zakaria Says Iran is making twice as much oil money but Trump misread about the war
Share
Font ResizerAa
Chicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News Media
Font ResizerAa
  • Politics
  • Advertise with us
  • Newsletters
  • Deal
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Chicago Patriot News Media > Blog > US News > Night Line: Fareed Zakaria Says Iran is making twice as much oil money but Trump misread about the war
US News

Night Line: Fareed Zakaria Says Iran is making twice as much oil money but Trump misread about the war

Mujeeb Osman
Last updated: April 7, 2026 9:20 pm
Mujeeb Osman 2 months ago
Share
SHARE

Chicago – April 07, 2026

He said Iran entered the war militarily weakened, but Trump’s threat to bomb infrastructure and force open the Strait of Hormuz may be backfiring.

CNN’s Fareed Zakaria said Iran’s military was already in poor shape at the start of the current war, weakened by earlier Israeli strikes on commanders, air defenses and missile sites. He argues that Trump is misreading the Strait of Hormuz by assuming more pressure will make Tehran back down, when it may instead harden Iran’s response and keep the chokepoint volatile.

The conflict is also producing clear winners and losers. The Strait of Hormuz turmoil is dividing the fortunes of Middle Eastern oil states, while analysis cited by Fareed points to Russia, Saudi Arabia, China and India as among the actors benefiting in different ways from higher prices, rerouted supplies or discounted alternatives. Specifically Iran is now earning roughly twice as much from daily oil sales, even as its broader war position remains weak.

On the question of striking Iranian infrastructure, Fareed and his guests, Former State Department official Richard Haass and journalist Zanny Minton Beddoes, warn that bombing power plants and bridges would raise major legal and strategic concerns and likely invite retaliation. Trump’s latest threats have been widely described as “unhinged,” with critics warning that targeting civilian infrastructure could escalate the conflict sharply.

You Might Also Like

Morning Edition: Republicans call off vote on Iran war resolution that was on the verge of passing

Night Line: Senate GOP Halts Immigration Bill Over Trump’s $1.8B Settlement Fund Backlash

Night Line: Trump says he will speak with Taiwan’s president, breaking long‑standing protocol

Morning Edition: US Senate advances bid to curb Trump’s war powers

Morning Edition: US raises pressure on Cuba with indictment of Raul Castro

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
By Mujeeb Osman
With 26 years of journalism experience across Urdu and English newspapers, he has built a reputation for thoughtful, community-focused reporting. Mujeeb Osman previously served as the Chicago in-charge of The Muslim Observer, where he covered local, national, and international issues impacting diverse communities. At Chicago Patriot News, he continues his commitment to delivering accurate, balanced, and compelling stories. His work reflects a deep interest in immigration issues, public policy, and American politics, areas he has followed closely throughout his career. At Chicago Patriot News, he continues his commitment to delivering accurate, balanced, and compelling stories that illuminate the challenges and perspectives shaping today’s public discourse.
Previous Article Morning Edition: Iran’s IRGC says “delusional” Trump threats are “baseless”
Next Article Night Line: Israel’s 2024 and 2025 Attacks on Iran Escalate Regional Conflict, With 2026 Tensions Still Unresolved

Our Mission

Search CPN

Latest News

  • Night Line: Qatari Negotiating Team Arrives in Tehran to Help Secure US–Iran War‑Ending Deal
  • Night Line: Carney Declares Alberta ‘Essential’ as Province Sets October Vote on Possible Separation
  • Night Line: Tulsi Gabbard resigns as national intelligence director due to his husband’s health issues
  • Morning Edition: Republicans call off vote on Iran war resolution that was on the verge of passing
  • Morning Edition: Salar-E-Millat Educational Trust Honours Indian SSC Toppers at Felicitation Ceremony, special guest Akbaruddin Owaisi
  • Morning Edition: Critics Question Use of Taxpayer Funds for Trump Allies ad call it his biggest controversy yet

Disclaimer

Chicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News Media
Follow US
© 2025 CPN. All Rights Reserved by Chicagopatriotnews.com
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Register Lost your password?