By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Chicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News Media
  • Advertise with us
  • Newsletters
  • Deal
Reading: Night Line: Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Sweeping Emergency Tariffs in 6–3 Ruling
Share
Font ResizerAa
Chicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News Media
Font ResizerAa
  • Politics
  • Advertise with us
  • Newsletters
  • Deal
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Chicago Patriot News Media > Blog > US News > Night Line: Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Sweeping Emergency Tariffs in 6–3 Ruling
US News

Night Line: Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Sweeping Emergency Tariffs in 6–3 Ruling

Mujeeb Osman
Last updated: February 20, 2026 6:35 pm
Mujeeb Osman 3 months ago
Share
SHARE

Chicago – February 20, 2026

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that President Donald Trump violated federal law by unilaterally imposing sweeping “emergency” tariffs across the globe, delivering a major setback to the centerpiece of his economic agenda.

In a 6–3 decision, the justices held that Trump exceeded his authority under the emergency powers statute he invoked, concluding that the Constitution clearly assigns Congress – not the president – the power to levy taxes and tariffs.

Chief Justice John Roberts, writing for the majority, said the emergency law Trump relied on does not grant “unbounded tariff authority” to the executive branch, even in the face of claimed economic or national security crises.

The ruling invalidates broad “reciprocal” tariffs imposed on nearly all U.S. trading partners and could force the administration to unwind parts of its trade strategy while exploring narrower tariff tools authorized under other laws. Conservative justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh dissented, arguing the tariffs were permissible under existing statute.

You Might Also Like

Morning Edition: Community grieves the 3 men killed while defending San Diego mosque

Night Line: Trump–IRS settlement “forever” bars audits of Trump family tax claims, DOJ filing says

Morning Edition: 3 killed in shooting at San Diego’s largest mosque

Night Line: Justice Department announces a $1.7B fund to compensate Trump allies in a deal to drop IRS suit

Morning Edition: Midair collision between two jets at air show prompts Idaho Air Force base lockdown

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
By Mujeeb Osman
With 26 years of journalism experience across Urdu and English newspapers, he has built a reputation for thoughtful, community-focused reporting. Mujeeb Osman previously served as the Chicago in-charge of The Muslim Observer, where he covered local, national, and international issues impacting diverse communities. At Chicago Patriot News, he continues his commitment to delivering accurate, balanced, and compelling stories. His work reflects a deep interest in immigration issues, public policy, and American politics, areas he has followed closely throughout his career. At Chicago Patriot News, he continues his commitment to delivering accurate, balanced, and compelling stories that illuminate the challenges and perspectives shaping today’s public discourse.
Previous Article Night Line: Virginia Democrats Approve New Congressional Map Targeting Four GOP-Held House Seats; Courts and Voters Hold Final Say
Next Article Night Line: Trump Orders UFO and Alien File Release After Accusing Obama of Classified Disclosure

Our Mission

Search CPN

Latest News

  • Morning Edition: Trump to attend G7 summit in France, White House official says
  • Morning Edition: Israeli forces intercept the remaining activist flotilla vessels headed for Gaza
  • Morning Edition: Community grieves the 3 men killed while defending San Diego mosque
  • Night Line: Senator Chris Van Hollen accused Trump of making “hundreds of millions” from his crypto coin while investors lost billions
  • Night Line: Trump–IRS settlement “forever” bars audits of Trump family tax claims, DOJ filing says
  • Night Line: Trump Delays Iran Strike by “Limited Period of Time,” Warns Nuclear Deal Deadline Looms

Disclaimer

Chicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News Media
Follow US
© 2025 CPN. All Rights Reserved by Chicagopatriotnews.com
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Register Lost your password?