By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Chicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News Media
  • Advertise with us
  • Newsletters
  • Deal
Reading: Morning Edition: Community grieves the 3 men killed while defending San Diego mosque
Share
Font ResizerAa
Chicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News Media
Font ResizerAa
  • Politics
  • Advertise with us
  • Newsletters
  • Deal
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Chicago Patriot News Media > Blog > US News > Morning Edition: Community grieves the 3 men killed while defending San Diego mosque
US News

Morning Edition: Community grieves the 3 men killed while defending San Diego mosque

Mujeeb Osman
Last updated: May 20, 2026 3:37 am
Mujeeb Osman 3 months ago
Share
SHARE

Chicago – May 20, 2026

The three people killed by two teen shooters at a San Diego mosque were beloved pillars of the community, and died while saving roughly 140 children who were in the building at the time of the attack, authorities said Tuesday.

All three men were shot while trying to delay and distract the two gunmen who barged into the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said.

The Imam of the Islamic Center of San Diego, Taha Hassane, identified the three victims as Amin Abdullah, 51, Nadir Awad, 57, and Mansour Kaziha, 78, who was known as Abu Ezz.

“We call them our brothers in the community. We call them our martyrs and our heroes,” said Hassane.

According to police, the two teenage shooters entered the mosque and initially passed security guard Amin Abdullah without noticing him. Abdullah, who had worked security there for about a decade, confronted them almost immediately and exchanged gunfire while using his radio to order a lockdown.

Authorities said his actions forced the attackers back toward the parking lot, giving worshippers and children inside the mosque’s school time to shelter. Abdullah was wounded during the exchange and was later fatally shot outside. San Diego police credited him with preventing a much larger loss of life and described his actions as heroic.

Authorities said the two gunmen re-entered the mosque after being pushed back by security guard Amin Abdullah and searched through rooms that had already been emptied during the lockdown. Police said the quick response by mosque staff and worshippers helped prevent the attackers from finding more victims inside.

Outside in the parking lot, mosque members Kaziha and Awad confronted the shooters. Before being fatally shot, Kaziha managed to call 911, helping emergency responders arrive quickly at the scene.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl praised the bravery of the three men, saying their actions distracted and delayed the attackers long enough to save many lives. “All three of our victims did not die in vain,” Wahl said, adding that without their intervention, there would likely have been many more fatalities.

You Might Also Like

Meta is back in the courtroom to face its biggest social media addiction trial yet

Military drills between US and South Korea cut short at Washington’s request

Appeals Court Rules Trump-Appointed Nevada US Attorney Illegally Serving, Violates Federal Law

US Loses About 25% of Reaper Drone Fleet During Iran War: Report

GOP Senator Bill Cassidy Condemns Trump’s Vaccine Order as Counterproductive & ‘Wrong on So Many Levels’

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
By Mujeeb Osman
With 26 years of journalism experience across Urdu and English newspapers, he has built a reputation for thoughtful, community-focused reporting. Mujeeb Osman previously served as the Chicago in-charge of The Muslim Observer, where he covered local, national, and international issues impacting diverse communities. At Chicago Patriot News, he continues his commitment to delivering accurate, balanced, and compelling stories. His work reflects a deep interest in immigration issues, public policy, and American politics, areas he has followed closely throughout his career. At Chicago Patriot News, he continues his commitment to delivering accurate, balanced, and compelling stories that illuminate the challenges and perspectives shaping today’s public discourse.
Previous Article Night Line: Senator Chris Van Hollen accused Trump of making “hundreds of millions” from his crypto coin while investors lost billions
Next Article Morning Edition: Israeli forces intercept the remaining activist flotilla vessels headed for Gaza

Our Mission

Search CPN

Latest News

  • Meta is back in the courtroom to face its biggest social media addiction trial yet
  • Trump Expected to Pick Heidi Overton to Lead FDA
  • Military drills between US and South Korea cut short at Washington’s request
  • Appeals Court Rules Trump-Appointed Nevada US Attorney Illegally Serving, Violates Federal Law
  • Trump-Backed Crypto Firm Partners With AI Venture Offering Restricted Chinese Models
  • Pakistan Supreme Court Orders Imran Khan’s Transfer to Hospital Amid Mounting Public and Political Pressure

Disclaimer

Chicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News Media
Follow US
© 2025 CPN. All Rights Reserved by Chicagopatriotnews.com
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Register Lost your password?