By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Chicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News Media
  • Advertise with us
  • Newsletters
  • Deal
Reading: Night Line: Eligible American men will soon be automatically registered for military draft
Share
Font ResizerAa
Chicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News Media
Font ResizerAa
  • Politics
  • Advertise with us
  • Newsletters
  • Deal
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Chicago Patriot News Media > Blog > US News > Night Line: Eligible American men will soon be automatically registered for military draft
US News

Night Line: Eligible American men will soon be automatically registered for military draft

Mujeeb Osman
Last updated: April 9, 2026 6:11 pm
Mujeeb Osman 1 month ago
Share
SHARE

Chicago – April 09, 2026

Eligible men in the United States will be automatically registered for the military draft by December 2026, according to the Selective Service System and reporting from major outlets. The change follows the FY 2026 National Defense Authorization Act, which shifts registration from individuals to federal data systems.

Under the new rule, most men ages 18 to 25 will no longer need to submit their own draft registration forms. Instead, the Selective Service System will use existing federal data to enroll them automatically, a move the agency says will streamline the process and reduce administrative burden.

Why it matters?

The policy does not create a new draft, but it changes how the draft pool is maintained if a national emergency ever requires one. The Selective Service says the system still exists to ensure readiness, while late or missing registrations can bring penalties, including loss of federal benefits.

Registration for the Selective Service has remained mandatory for eligible men for decades, but compliance has slipped in recent years. Officials say automatic enrollment is meant to fix that gap by linking the system with federal records rather than relying on self-registration.

You Might Also Like

Morning Edition: Republicans call off vote on Iran war resolution that was on the verge of passing

Night Line: Senate GOP Halts Immigration Bill Over Trump’s $1.8B Settlement Fund Backlash

Night Line: Trump says he will speak with Taiwan’s president, breaking long‑standing protocol

Morning Edition: US Senate advances bid to curb Trump’s war powers

Morning Edition: US raises pressure on Cuba with indictment of Raul Castro

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
By Mujeeb Osman
With 26 years of journalism experience across Urdu and English newspapers, he has built a reputation for thoughtful, community-focused reporting. Mujeeb Osman previously served as the Chicago in-charge of The Muslim Observer, where he covered local, national, and international issues impacting diverse communities. At Chicago Patriot News, he continues his commitment to delivering accurate, balanced, and compelling stories. His work reflects a deep interest in immigration issues, public policy, and American politics, areas he has followed closely throughout his career. At Chicago Patriot News, he continues his commitment to delivering accurate, balanced, and compelling stories that illuminate the challenges and perspectives shaping today’s public discourse.
Previous Article Morning Edition: FBI arrests suspected leaker of downed fighter jet over Iran
Next Article Night Line: Jim Whittaker, First American to Summit Everest, Dies at 97

Our Mission

Search CPN

Latest News

  • Morning Edition: Sudan’s war has left thousands missing. Many are buried in unmarked graves
  • Morning Edition: Rubio arrives in India ahead of Quad talks as US tries to reset strained ties
  • Morning Edition: Dispute Over Bhojshala–Kamal Maula Mosque in Dhar, Madhya Pradesh Continues in India
  • Night Line: Qatari Negotiating Team Arrives in Tehran to Help Secure US–Iran War‑Ending Deal
  • Night Line: Carney Declares Alberta ‘Essential’ as Province Sets October Vote on Possible Separation
  • Night Line: Tulsi Gabbard resigns as national intelligence director due to his husband’s health issues

Disclaimer

Chicago Patriot News MediaChicago Patriot News Media
Follow US
© 2025 CPN. All Rights Reserved by Chicagopatriotnews.com
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Register Lost your password?